Monday 17 August 2009

First timer

This is the first time I've ever done a blog so bear with me...

The walk started because I wanted to do something to stop feeling so helpless about my younger sister having cancer - she's been having treatment for over a year and it's been so hard to watch her go through it.

Lins wanted something to get fit for. I suggested walking up Snowdon but she wanted to go one step (or a whole week's worth) further! We're both from North Wales originally, and when we were 10 we sang John Denver songs a lot (we were sad kids), hence the title of the walk.

We soon roped Roz in (not just because she has a caravan on Anglesey!), and so there are 3 of us, with various people as support crew at times along the way.

We're raising money for the Snowdrop Appeal, which is aiming to raise enough to improve radiotherapy equipment at the North Wales Cancer Centre. My sister had to travel 100 miles a day for recent radiotherapy - our hope is that future patients can get treatment closer to home, thus giving them a better experience with an improved chance of recovery.

It's less than 2 weeks to go til we start, and I've got a blister just from walking to Tesco and back!!! That doesn't bode well....

No comments:

Post a Comment